Today I taught a lesson in the weight room for the first time. I decided to keep jot notes for a reflection for this period.
The lesson did not go as planned:
– space was so small it was awful
– need a deeper explanation as to why the students are doing dynamic-stretching compared to static-stretching
– need to move things around for warm-up activities (safety risk)
– students got bored of Pilates so I switched to Zumba
– forgot HDMI cable so students were forced to watch on a tiny screen with barely any volume
– students were disengaged while doing the weights portion of the class
– didn’t get all the students to watch and participate in the video
Partner taught a lesson in the gymnasium.
This class went quite a bit differently than in the first period despite it being the same lesson. I made some notes on this lesson as well as a form of reflection.
This lesson ran quite a bit smoother:
– moved some of the cafeteria tables around to make more space.
– I gave the students reasoning as to why the students are doing dynamic-stretching and static-stretching
– I allowed students to decide between Pilates and Zumba
– borrowed my co-operating teachers’ computer speakers for the lesson so that students could at least hear the video
– made up a guided workout for students to use that were unable to guide their own workout.
– made sure to have all students do the video.
We debriefed lessons in our prep period and then I went back to marking for my co-op.
14 students in the classroom and 5 out of the classroom
I still have a lot to work on for teaching, but I guess that’s the point of Pre-Internship and Internship.